Cadmus

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Paul Cadmus Discussion ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by boyblue on November 17, 1998 at 01:49:21:

I have long been interested in Cadmus and enjoyed his work. I do believe, however, that given the vagaries of New York art world, which is virtually identical with the American art world, that his his career illustrates a salient point: it helps to have close relationships with well placed and/or wealthy individuals. His tie to Lincoln Kirstein had much to do with his success as an artist. Further, the navy did him the great favor or attacking his work, which any moron knew to represent reality...even making it look more appealing than it actually is. In other words, you don't get to be famous artist in New York on sheer talent...who you sleep with and whom you know has a great deal more to do with it. Just look at Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, and any number of other painters without real technical ability who nonetheless came to be considered important artists. Warhol did it largely by peddling sex and drugs to the wealthy more so than through his art. At least Cadmus can draw, although I don't consider him among the leading ones of the 20th century. Too sentimental. But I still enjoy his work.

It seems to me you could have included more of the prints from the 1930s, which are my own favorite images from is works.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Paul Cadmus Discussion ] [ FAQ ]