Re: cadmus's achievement

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Paul Cadmus Discussion ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne Northcross on January 21, 1999 at 19:48:04:

In Reply to: cadmus's achievement posted by richard meyer on December 01, 1998 at 00:09:39:

I was fortunate enough to see the Cadmus exhibit that Richard Meyer curated at the Whitney Museum. I say fortunate because prior to that exhibit I was only aware of only certain works which have been frequently reproduced in art journals and and gay publications. I must say that I do find Cadmus' work intriguing, not because they depict or reveal a queer sensibility and desire from the early part of this century,which is too often a primary concern for queer art critics and connoisseurs, but because their sumptuous garishness and morbid exageration force me to rethink how gay men see the male form and how we respond to homoerotic iconography.In this respect, I find Cadmus' depictions odd. His men, although objectified by the gay gaze, not only are disintrested of the objectification, but their facial gestures showing their disgust for certain lecherous paramours speak to me of sublime isolation and solitude.
I agree with Boyblue, not with his cynicism of the realities of the artworld and the relationship between patron and artist, but with his acute and insigtful opinions on Cadmus' work. It is only through such creative interpretive power that queer art discouse will flourish and delight. I'm not sure, however, and possibly Boyblue could elaborate, why Boyblue finds certain paintings "sentimental". Is sentimentality something to eschew?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Paul Cadmus Discussion ] [ FAQ ]